Dundas Farmer’s Rest Lodge receives constructing permit

The 176-year-old Farmer’s Rest Hotel, at 207 King St. W.The 176-year-old Farmer’s Rest Hotel, at 207 King St. W.

A building permit was issued April 11 to make it possible for renovation of the 176-year-outdated Farmer’s Rest Resort heritage building at 207 King St. W., like a 3rd storey addition, right after 18 several years and 7 different house owners.

A numbered enterprise, which includes administrators Erwin Gerl and Zachary Agnew of Ancaster, acquired 207 King in September 2019 for $950,000 and submitted the most current proposal a lot more than two decades back. Web site prepare approval was granted in July 2022.

The owners’ advisor, Daniel Cheatley, did not respond to a ask for for remark by deadline.

The creating permit permits demolition of an current two-storey wooden addition at the rear of the developing to expose the initial rear exterior wall, eliminate the current wooden body dormer on the roof and rebuild the total roof for a new 3rd floor addition, elevating the roof height, with two new dormers on the front.

At the rear of the setting up, a new 38.8 square metre 3-storey protected open up rear deck with egress stairs will be additional.

The allow also permits interior renovations for the a person floor floor commercial unit with inside entry to the basement, introducing a new basement side opening with exterior accessibility stair, in addition two duplex residential models on the second ground with inside stairs accessing the new 3rd ground. Each of the two units will have two bedrooms on the third ground.

Town of Hamilton spokesperson Lauren Vastano claimed the building’s factors for designation are constrained to the authentic characteristics of the two road facades on King and Market place, especially brickwork, chimneys, parapets and windows — but do not contain the roof by itself.

Vastano claimed alterations that had been not topic to a past heritage allow process were being reviewed by heritage organizing employees as portion of the internet site approach management critique approach.

“Staff commented on the compatibility and appropriateness of the alterations as element of that process,” Vastano claimed.

The composition was constructed in 1847 by Jesse Cooper as the Farmer’s Rest Lodge. It operated as a lodge, acknowledged as Cain’s Lodge just after it was procured by Patrick Cain in 1893, right until 1910 when the building served as a medical center and afterwards an apartment constructing. It was designated under the Ontario Heritage Act in 1981.

Soon after 18 several years with the same owners, 207 King was offered in October 2005 for $385,000 March 2006 ($438,000) March 2007 ($500,000) October 2012 ($662,500)) and June 2016 ($740,000) in advance of the September 2019 sale to the latest house owners.