Table of Contents
Spring is in the air…which means it’s not too early to start thinking about your summer. And specifically, vacations! If you’re looking for an off-the-beaten path escape away from the crowds, you’re in luck. Here are some lesser-known alternatives to popular summer vacation destinations that are well worth a trip before word gets out further — both in the US and beyond.
1. Instead of Hawaii, go to Oregon.
The landscapes throughout the state are so diverse and nothing short of jaw-dropping.
2. Instead of Cape Cod, go to Fire Island.
Each of Fire Island’s hamlets has a totally distinct feel.
3. Instead of the Canadian Rockies, go to Idaho.
This state is paradise for anyone who loves the great outdoors.
4. Instead of Santorini, go to Tinos.
Set just 30 minutes from Mykonos by boat, this island feels like an undiscovered gem.
5. Instead of Sicily, go to Sardinia.
Sardinia’s Costa Smeralda — a 12-mile stretch of coast — is the most popular part of the island among visitors, but there’s so much more to explore.
6. Instead of the Algarve, go to Alentejo.
You won’t find any of the Algarve’s summer crowds in this up-and-coming region.
7. Instead of Croatia, go to Slovenia.
From alpine lakes and gorges to medieval cities, this country has it all.
8. Instead of the Italian Alps, go to Georgia.
Tbilisi might just be one of the coolest cities in Europe.
9. Instead of Iceland, go to the Faroe Islands.
Like in Iceland, the weather changes here in an instant, so bring your layers, but the scenery is nothing short of jaw-dropping.
10. Instead of Paris, go to Dordogne.
The towns that make up this French region could have come straight out of a storybook.
11. Instead of the South of France, go to Turkey’s Turquoise Coast.
You’d be hard pressed to find this unique blend of history and scenery anywhere else.
What’s your favorite spring or summer vacation destination you’d recommend to other travelers? Tell us about it in the comments!